As technology begins to connect with our home appliances, the concept of a truly “smart home” is now shifting into reality.
One way our homes is smarter is with the use of a “smart thermostat”. Smart thermostats provide an array of benefits you just can’t get with traditional thermostats. From energy savings to intelligent temperature control, these smart devices make for a great upgrade to your heating and cooling system.
At DMS Air, heating and cooling systems are our specialty, and when it comes to smart thermostats, we can help you select the perfect option for your home or office setting.
A thermostat helps regulate the temperature in your home or business. Manual thermostats generally use dials and a needle to adjust temperatures at what point the heater or air conditioner would turn off.
The next generation of thermostats to hit the stage were programmable digital thermostats. These usually controls allowed you, the homeowner, to set the exact temperature at which you want to maintain the room via a digital interface (like your car radio). When the house hits falls above or below the set temperature, your HVAC system kicks into gear and pumps out either hot or cold air as needed. Further, these thermostats could be programmed to “kick” on at certain times of the day or night.
Smart Thermostat Technology
Smart thermostats represent the next level in home comfort. Not only does a smart thermostat result in better energy efficiency, you can control it remotely.
Like other smart devices, a smart thermostat is connected to your Wi-Fi, enabling you to access the controls from any device at any location (such as via a mobile app while away at work or the grocery store).
Choosing the Right Smart Thermostat
There are many different types of smart thermostats, and it is important to make sure you choose one that is compatible with your heating and air system.
There are Generally Three Types of Systems Compatible:
- Direct line/high voltage – these use a 110 to 240-volt power source. This often relates to electric heating or baseboard heaters. It is especially important to consider compatibility when working with this type.
- Low voltage – this 24-volt power source is the most common type of system in households. It is easier to find a compatible thermostat for these systems.
- Gas/oil powered – systems powered this way use a 24-millivolt power source.
As you can see, choosing the right smart thermostat can get complicated quickly depending on your setup. It is important to seek trustworthy, expert opinion in this area, and the pros at DMS Air can help you determine which derives are best suited for your HVAC or AC / Heating setup.
The Benefits of Using A Smart Thermostat
Upgrading to a smart thermostat is well worth the investment for a number of reasons:
- Motion sensor technology – your thermostat will automatically adjust to preferred settings when it senses people in the house.
- In-depth environmental details – depending on the app, you will be able to see outside temperatures, indoor temperatures, environmental influences, and more.
- Remote control – out of town and forgot to set your thermostat to a more moderate temperature? Adjust it from the road!
- Lower energy bills – smart thermostats have higher accuracy resulting in less usage.
- Learning curve – your smart thermostat will be able to learn the basic schedule of your household and adjust usage to when your household is most active.
- Voice commands – some units allow you to speak to them instead of having to get up to grab your device or go to the thermostat itself.
DMS Air is Your Local Smart Thermostat Expert
Our highly trained and skilled technicians stay on top of the latest in heating and air technology, including smart thermostats, offering honest quotes and reliability you can count on.
We would love to assist you in picking out the right smart thermostat for your home. It is important to have an expert assist in this area to make sure the smart thermostat you are considering is compatible with your existing system.
Technology is wonderful, and it’s exciting to see pioneering advances in the area of heating and cooling. Let the experts at DMS Air show you the benefits of owning a smart thermostat in your home!